Have you heard about reiki and are thinking of trying it out yourself?
Are you still on the fence about reiki and want to find out more?
Do you want to find out if it is also possible to have any side effects from reiki?
If you are thinking about trying out reiki but are not sure whether or not it will really have any negative effects, you can find all the required information in this article that may help you find out more and make up your mind.
Here, you can read about the various advantages of reiki, and also take a look at whether or not it is really good for you. We will also talk about why it is important to be aware of whether or not practicing reiki can have some negative effects and the things you need to keep in mind to make sure you benefit out of the sessions. So without looking anywhere else, just read on.
Top 3 known advantages of reiki
During the reiki session, a healer is able to channel a flow of positive energy through your body that can eventually help to create a better balance between the mind, body and soul.
Here are 3 of the most known advantages of practicing reiki:
1. Reduces stress and anxiety, pain and fatigue
- Many medical centres practice reiki on patients suffering from chronic pain. Various trials have proven that practicing reiki has in fact help people feel less pain and significantly improve the quality of life.
- Reiki is also known to reduce fatigue and help you feel more energized and refreshed.
2. Reduces depression and improves mental health
- As part of a small study, researchers observed the effects of reiki on those people who were suffering from depression and anxiety.
- The study showed that the participants who received reiki showed significant improvement in their moods, physical symptoms as well as overall well-being, relaxation, and more inclination towards taking self-care.
3. Improves the overall quality of communication and life
- Those who regularly practice reiki often feel an improvement in the way they communicate, and in the way they are able to take better decisions with more clarity of thought.
- All these things combined together, along with benefits such as feeling more energetic and positive and being able to enjoy life better can help to improve the overall quality of life.
Are there any reports of people experiencing negative effects from reiki?
- Reiki is most often only associated with positive results, and it has been known to help people in various ways.
- It is a non-invasive healing therapy method.
- Also, in many cases, reiki healing can also be non-touch therapy, especially when the reiki session is being practiced from a distance through distance reiki.
7 disadvantages, side effects or negative effects of reiki
Before you practice reiki healing, here are a few scenarios where there have been some disadvantages from reiki.
Can reiki make you fat?
- Some of the energy shifts that happen during the reiki attunement can disrupt your energy flow and make you gain weight.
- You may feel certain changes in your regular appetite, or undergo some changes in your eating habit.
- You could feel a lot of heat and energy on your hands and constantly feel hungry and need to eat.
Tip: Keep a track of any appetite changes and inform your practitioner.
You may feel some puzzling physical sensations:
- About half an hour to an hour after the session, you may experience physical sensations such as tightness in the chest, diarrhoea, runny nose, headache, heaviness in your limbs or even blurry vision.
- This is due to the cleansing from the reiki session where your body releases the toxins trapped inside.
Tip: Drink lots of water, stay hydrated and lie down till you feel better.
May affect you emotionally:
- After the session, you experience some emotions that seem sudden, such as weeping or feeling sad without any apparent reason, or sudden anger outbursts.
- This is because the session helps to release any negative feelings and hurt that was trapped in your body.
Tip: Practice deep breathing
You may end up with a practitioner who is not right for you:
- This can be a major disadvantage where you receive reiki from someone whose energy may not be properly attuned to yours.
- In such a scenario, while you may not see much disadvantage, you may not be able to experience any real benefits either.
Tip: Look for real references when choosing a practitioner.
Can you get bad energy?
- If the reiki practitioner is not ready for the session, the receiver may pick up bad energy from the giver.
- For instance, if the reiki master is in a bad mood, or is feeling low or depressed, the negativity will pass on to the receiver during the session.
Tip: Speak to your healer and ask them if you should take a break to allow your healer to get back fully.
Lack of degree or registered qualification
- When you open yourself to spiritual connectivity, without being sure about the qualifications of the practitioner, you may put yourself at risk of the side effects.
- If your practitioner is not an expert, you may end up feeling more negative than positive.
Tip: If you regularly feel low after your sessions, you may need to switch your healer.
- You may end up questioning various beliefs that you believed till now, including religious belief.
- It could also end up disrupting your sense of being.
Tip: Try and spend more time in nature.
Why is it important to know the disadvantages or side effects of reiki?
While reiki is mostly associated with positive effects and a host of benefits, it is important to be aware of any possible disadvantages that may happen.
- Reiki is an alternative form of healing and therapy and is not part of the professional branch of medicine.
- There are no regulated laws and guidelines governing reiki.
- Also, the reiki masters or healers do not always have any recognized form of licence or certification, which means that you may often find reiki practitioners with different skill levels and energy.
- There are no solid scientific research studies that have proven beyond any measure of doubt about the benefits of reiki. Most studies and research on the topic mention that further study needs to be done.
Are any of these disadvantages serious?
- If you do not receive reiki from the right person, it could affect your overall health as well as mental and emotional stability.
- While there are no known reports of fatality as a result of reiki, it is important that you choose your healer carefully and take immediate steps in case of any side effects.
We hope that now that you have read about all the different disadvantages or side effects that can potentially also happen as a result of reiki, you will take all the necessary precautions and be careful while practicing the same. Also, we hope that you use these tips that we have shared here, to get the best possible benefits from your reiki session and be in good health, in mind, body and spirit.