What is The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui?
What kind of information does it contain?
Why is it such an important resource on the topic of reiki?
This book offers a unique glimpse into the teachings of Dr. Mikao Usui, the founder of the art of reiki. It has been translated from the original Japanese and provides timeless insight that can help reiki practitioners, students, and clients all understand the concept of reiki much more easily. Since it comes directly from Dr. Usui’s teachings, it’s a very accurate and traditional reiki book.
There is plenty of information within this book, ranging from historical and cultural education to suggestions for reiki treatments. With so much information at a glance, it’s a vital addition to any practitioner’s bookshelf, and it can help beginners learn more as they work through their studies, too.
In this article, you’ll find more in-depth information about this book and everything it has to offer. You’ll find a detailed list of the features included in the book as well as some of its strengths and weaknesses.
By reading through the points below, you’ll be able to determine whether or not this book is right for you. Take your time learning more about what this book is and how it can help you, no matter where you are on your reiki journey.
The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui
The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui is exactly what it sounds like: the basic information used by the founder of the art of reiki to hone his craft. Anyone who is interested in learning more about how reiki was originally intended to be practiced by the person who created it is sure to enjoy reading through this short but informative book. Those who are studying reiki should consider it as they work on their hand positions and move through the different levels of their study, and even those with simply a passing interest in the topic are sure to get something out of this little book. The book is available in both a Kindle and a paperback edition for convenience.
- This book includes brief but useful information on the history of reiki, including its religious background in Buddhism and its cultural background in Japan as well.
- The book also discusses the techniques involved in healing through reiki energy work, as well as the types of touches and breathing required throughout a session.
- The book includes detailed information about the hand positions used by Dr. Usui in his original reiki practice and provides a high-quality reference for practitioners who still use those hand positions today.
- Finally, there is general information provided within this book about the pillars of reiki, what it stands for, and what its intentions are.
What We Liked
- We love how thorough this book is, despite being fairly short! There is so much to learn from the pages of this book that any newcomer to the world of reiki can gain tons of insight and guidance from reading it. Reiki practitioners who need a little extra help with their hand positions or who are just getting started learning them can greatly improve their skills and abilities by checking out the illustrations and examples provided here. It’s a must-have book for anyone who practices reiki, either on clients or on themselves.
What Could Be Improved
- One of the only downsides of this book is that it is outdated, as it was written by the man who founded the art of reiki. Some practices are no longer used, while others have been updated or modernized in some ways. This choice also doesn’t take into account any other reiki schools of thought or methods of healing, such as sound therapy or crystal healing. The book should not be used as the sole reference material for anyone studying reiki, since it only focuses on the traditional type of reiki and does not deviate from that path. This option may be lacking somewhat in information in this way.
- The book includes several illustrations and photos so newcomers and experienced practitioners alike will be able to learn how to hold their hands for each of the required hand positions.
- Anyone who is studying the traditional Usui form of reiki will be able to find answers to many of their questions by reading through this book, as it is thorough and informative.
- The book includes some suggestions for the correct hand positions to use when healing a variety of different problems.
- The translator of the book includes some of his own analysis and information, which many practitioners find helpful in their studies as well.
- Some customers may be displeased with how short this book is, although it is intended to be referenced as a handbook.
- The Kindle version of this book has very small print, is difficult to read for some, and may be challenging when trying to view the photographs included at the end of the book.
- Some newcomers to reiki find this book challenging to understand without the guidance of a teacher, and it may be best used as a supplement to reiki studies instead of its own standalone resource.
- Some believe this book relies too heavily on the historical background information provided.
So what do you think? Is this book worth purchasing, or should you skip it? Generally, we believe this book is a good purchase for those who are studying reiki actively or are interested in giving it a try. Although it may not be the easiest read, it can provide a good, solid understanding of where reiki comes from as well as the man who helped it become what it is today. As well, it includes photographs and illustrations to help beginners better understand the information provided, which can be crucial for anyone learning to practice reiki hand symbols.
However, there are some drawbacks to consider. The book is not as packed with information as some people might like, and you’ll need to do additional research or study along with it. You will not be able to practice reiki right away after reading this book, but it can help you as you learn. It’s also important to remember that the Kindle edition is more difficult to see than the paperback when choosing whether or not to purchase the book.
There are many people who can benefit from buying and reading this book. Consider bringing it home as part of your reiki library if you fit into one or more of these categories:
- Reiki beginners who need to see images and explanations of hand positions
- Experienced reiki practitioners who want a refresher on hand positions and the intentions of reiki
- Casual interested individuals who would like to learn more about where reiki comes from
- Reiki masters looking for a supplemental resource to keep on hand as they practice
Even if you don’t see your own situation listed here, don’t worry! This book can be an interesting and beneficial read for many others, too. Bring it home today and see for yourself how well it can help you learn and understand more about Usui reiki!
Last update on 2022-09-02 at 02:30 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.