Have you heard about reiki and are thinking of trying it out yourself?
Are you aware of something known as reiki principles and want to find out more about these?
Do you want to learn how to practice reiki principles in your daily life and benefit from the same?
If you are thinking about trying out a new form of reiki that can bring you a lot of benefit and clarity in your day to day life, then reiki principles can be quite helpful. And that is exactly what this article is all about. Here you can find all the information that you will need to know all about reiki principles, what it is all about, how you can do it and why it can be a good idea to try it out.
You can also read about who started the reiki principles, how many reiki principles there are, information about reiki precepts, and how you can increase the benefits you can get by trying out these reiki principles. So read on for all this information and more.
What are reiki principles?
Reiki principles or reiki precepts are usually instructions, orders, guidelines or commandments that are given in order to carry out a particular action in a specific manner. In the case of reiki, the precepts that are shared are meant to be for a daily basis, or ‘just for today’.
How many reiki principles are there?
There are 5 main reiki principles:
- Do not get angry
- Do not worry
- Be grateful
- Work diligently
- Always be kind to others
What are reiki principles used for?
Reiki principles are an element of the traditional Japanese healing art of Reiki.
- Reiki principles are like statements that are usually taught in the beginning of the reiki course, in reiki class 1 and are meant to be practiced for ever.
- It is a form of meditation that can help to set the tone for your reiki sessions for the day.
- You can also perform or practice reiki principles as a stand-alone session to get similar healing benefits.
- This can help you remove any negativity, stress and anxiety from your mind and body.
- As a result, you will be able to take on the day with more energy, renewed interest and a more positive and confident approach.
- Reiki principles are basically taught in such a way that you can use them as strategies that you can apply to your life.
- As you start practicing these reiki principles and continue practicing them, you will be able to get more benefits from all your reiki and meditation sessions.
- The only one thing in reiki practice that may be more important than the reiki principles themselves is the intent with which you recite these reiki principles.
Who created reiki principles?
The reiki principles were created by the Buddhist monk Mikao Usui who is also known as the founder of the spiritual practice known as reiki.
5 traditional reiki principles
Before you dive in to follow these principles, here are some ways in which you can prep your body for the meditation session:
- Start by taking 3 deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- With every breath that you exhale, try and release any pent up stress that you may be holding in.
Here are the 5 reiki principles and a few tips and ways to follow these that you can use or incorporate into your daily lives.
For all the reiki principles, here is what you have to say and believe in:
- Just for today, I will not get angry
- Just for today, I will not worry at all
- Just for today, I will be completely grateful for all the blessings that I have
- Just for today, I will work with complete honesty and integrity
- Just for today, I will be kind and compassionate towards all beings and myself
Now let’s take a deeper look into how you can practice these 5 reiki principles and incorporate in your daily life for a positive change:
It is best to chant these principles twice a day:
- Once you start practicing the reiki principles, it is advisable to chant these or say them out loud at least twice a day.
- This will allow you to be more mindful of what these principles are telling you to do, and you will be more aware of the choice you have to make a positive change.
Start the chanting with a clear and positive intention:
- Sit down in a quiet and relaxed manner and place your arms in the meditation and chanting pose.
- Before you start chanting or saying the reiki principles out loud, make sure that you believe these principles will help bring about a positive change, and that you really want to practice this.
Understand how these principles are affecting you:
- One of the best ways to understand the full potential of these principles is to write down or share how each principle affects you once you start practicing them in real life.
- As you get into a meditative state during the chanting process, it is possible that you experience a lot of different emotions and feelings. This is perfectly natural, and it means that you are doing this the right way.
- If you are doing this as part of a group, once the session is over, you may want to write down all the feelings that you experienced during the chanting, and share notes with others.
- If you are doing this on your own, you may try and write these down as a self-journal.
- Over the course of practicing these principles over the long run, you will be able to go through these notes and see how these are helping you become more positive, and what changes they are bringing in your daily life.
Are there any more reiki principles apart from these 5 traditional ones?
- While all the reiki principles help you lead a more positive and fuller life, there have been some improvements and changes in some of the principles.
- This has mainly been done to remove or reduce the use of the word ‘not’ from the principles and allow for more positivity, even while chanting or meditation.
- The changes have been brought about with all due respect to the original 5 reiki principles or reiki precepts and are just an extension of the same thoughts that are taught in the 5 principles.
Here are some of the changes that have been made to the original reiki principles and that you can try out to bring about a positive change to your person and to your life:
- Just for today, I will release all my angry feelings and thoughts
- Just for today, I will release all my thoughts of worry
- Just for today, I will be grateful for all the blessings I have
- Just for today, I will be more compassionate and kind
- Just for today, I will be more conscious towards everything
Now that you have read about all the different principles and precepts of reiki, you will find more reasons to start practicing the same. Also, we hope that you use these tips that we have shared here, to get the best possible benefits from your reiki session.